Kaunas Mosque or Vytautas the Great Mosque (Lithuanian: Vytauto Didžiojo Mečetė) is one of four remaining mosques in Lithuania. It is located in the centre of the Kaunas. Interesting fact is that it is the only brick mosque in Lithuania.
A wooden Kaunas Mosque was first built in 1860. It was replaced by a brick mosque in 1930 with the aid of the Republic of Lithuania. Kaunas Mosque was rebuilt in commemoration of the 500th death anniversary of Vytautas the Great, the Grand Duke of Lithuania who is credited for settling Tatars in Lithuania.
The mosque was designed by architects Vaclovas Michnevičius and Adolfas Netyksas, who followed the style of mosques in northern Africa. During the Soviet times, the building was used for a circus. There were plans to establish a museum of Islamic art. In 1989, Kaunas Mosque was returned to the faithful and in 1991, the first worship was held.